The School of Health Professions, Public Service Programs and Social Sciences offers diverse options connected by the characteristic of service, helping and health. These “real world” programs lead to degrees and certificates which gets graduates job-ready.
The faculty brings hands-on life experience to the classroom and the programs are typically designed as career ladders, giving you a clear path from entry-level to advanced credentials. Certificates can be completed in 12 to 15 months and give you practical workforce skills that position you for employment.
For example, after completing the Interdisciplinary Studies – Allied Health certificate or degree program, a student may choose move on to the practical nursing certificate, providing them the opportunity to sit for licensure and become a licensed practical nurse. After that, the student can pursue an Associate’s degree and ultimately attain licensure as a registered nurse.
Here are just some of the options and programs the School offers:
- Physical Therapist Assistant: This program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, offered in alternating years, at both Devens and Gardner campuses, provides an opportunity for a career in physical therapy field. All faculty members have attained doctoral degrees in Physical Therapy and maintain clinical practice. In addition, the program has beneficial connections with clinics, giving students hands-on experience prior to program completion.
- Dental Hygiene: This program accredited by the Council on Dental Accreditation, is unique in that it provides students the opportunity to work with real patients and dentists through a collaboration with an on-site community based dental clinic.
- Human Services: This program provides graduates the skills to assist individuals with cognitive and behavioral challenges. Close relationships with local agencies insures that the curriculum is up to date, reflects current practice and offers internships for students. Directors of these agencies serve on an advisory board for the program.
- Exercise Science: This program attracts students at all levels, from those looking to start careers as personal trainers to other roles within the fitness industry. This program has an articulation agreement with Fitchburg State University for a bachelor’s degree and offers students great potential to advance their skills and knowledge.
- Nursing: These programs accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) offer a variety of options for entry and advancement within the nursing profession. Students can elect to complete a one year practical nursing certificate. The two year associate degree, with day and evening option, offers students the opportunity to attain licensure as a registered nurse. the LPN to RN Bridge program is specifically designed for working licensed Practical Nurses. At completion the program gives graduates an Associate’s degree and the credentials to sit for licensure as a registered nurse. It is a 14 month hybrid program with classroom, online course work, and one clinical day per week.
- Health Information Management: Offering both an Associate’s degree in Health Information Management and a certificate in Medical Coding, MWCC prepares graduates to enter the workforce and work in various positions relevant to the management of health data. Individuals who have an interest in the medical field and information technology skills may contribute greatly to the healthcare industry without being direct care providers.