What is Perkins?
The Carl D. Perkins Career & Technical Education Allocation is a grant with a focus on providing resources and supports to students pursuing Career and Technical Education degrees. The goal is to increase awareness of non-traditional degree attainment, and increase in retention and graduation rates of our students enrolled in these programs.
What can Perkins do for me?
Mount Wachusett Community College uses Perkins funding to offer support systems for students enrolled in related programs. These supports include Academic Advising in several areas. These include:
- Career & Technical Programs
- Disability Services
- English as a Second Language & Special Populations
- Financial Literacy
- Health Career & Non-Traditional Programs
In addition to Academic Advising, MWCC also offers transitional assistance from high school to college, tutoring in mathematics and English, and online tutoring in Business & Accounting (look for the eTutoring link in iConnect).
How do I access my Perkins resources?
Talk to your academic advisor to you to discuss your goals and talk about strategies for success. Additionally, the Academic Support Center offers tutoring to assist you when you find yourself in need of further support in your courses. Tutoring is FREE! Take advantage of this resource – it could make all the difference in your success!
Advising also offers a series of Advising Workshops designed to help you develop skills you need to succeed while in college and after you leave MWCC.
Meet Your Perkins Team!
As a student in a Career and Technical Education major, there are many Perkins Advisors available to you. Feel free to contact any of us at any time!
- Jaime Dumont-McEvoy, Academic Counselor–Leominster Campus (Perkins)
J_Dumont-McEvoy@mwcc.mass.edu | 978-630-9824
- Theresa Kacian, Disabilities Counselor (Perkins)
TKacian@mwcc.mass.edu | 978-630-9438
- Jose Mangual, Academic Counselor–ESL–Leominster Campus (Perkins)
J_Mangual@mwcc.mass.edu | 978-630-9818
- Amanda Meyer, Academic counselor–Selective Health Programs (Perkins)
AMeyer1@mwcc.mass.edu | 978-630-9266
- Holly Kreidler-Phaneuf, Academic Counselor–Financial Literacy (Perkins)
firstname.lastname@example.org | 978-630-9197