SMART Start is a group registration event where all students begin the enrollment process.
Note:Event takes place in a computer lab, therefore extra guests are not permitted due to space restrictions.
What do I need to do ahead of time?
To be ready to attend SMART Start, all students must:
- Apply and be accepted
- Contact Admissions with any questions about your status
- Take the Accuplacer Placement Test or have prior college transcripts showing successful completion of English and mathematics.
- Official transcripts from other schools should be sent to the Records office as well as any official scores from AP or CLEP exams AND bring unofficial copies of all transcripts/scores to SMART Start
- Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
What do I need to bring?
We will provide you with a folder of information and a pen so you can take notes. You should bring:
- Your iConnect username and password (Activate it here)
- Transcripts from any and all previously attended colleges (official or unofficial)
- Placement test scores (if you are in your first semester at another college or university)
What should I expect when I arrive?
- Check in with an advisor to review your paperwork
- Attend an informational workshop where you will:
- Engage with your peers and the advisors in the room
- Learn how your progress will be measured each semester
- Evaluate your available time to commit to your academics
- Use the electronic tools available to you
- Create your schedule for the upcoming semester
- Expect for it to take roughly 2 hours from start to finish (Please plan on attending the entire event in order to enroll for classes)
What if I attend another college but want to take a class at MWCC?
If you are a student with prior successful college experience AND you are not seeking to obtain a degree from MWCC, you are considered a Guest Student. Please see our Guest Student Page for more information about registering. Guest students DO NOT attend SMART Start.
Where can I get more information?
Feel free to browse through both our advising webpages and our financial aid webpages for more detailed information on each. You can also contact us after your SMART Start if you still have questions or concerns, or find us on Facebook if you want regular updates from the Advising Center.