NCCES in Fitchburg is a public school where students are known personally, challenged intellectually, and expected to participate actively. Guided by its commitment to diversity and inclusiveness, the school seeks to send graduates into the world who THINK for themselves, CARE about others, and ACT creatively and responsibly.
Chartered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in May 2001, the school opened its doors to 235 students in grades seven to nine in September 2002. In June 2006 NCCES graduated its first full class of graduates with 95%+ of these students heading to college or a post-secondary programs.
NCCES welcomes MWCC service learning students or volunteers to apply to serve as tutors to 7th grade students in either math or literacy, through the school’s “Growth Academically through Individualized Needs” (GAIN) program:
Tutor Job Description Overview
Tutor 7th grade middle school students in either math or literacy during the 2012-12 school year.
- Create lesson plan for students in preparation for each tutoring session utilizing provided curriculum material
- Execute lesson plan in either math or literacy.
- Monitor students assessments and tailor tutoring to fit student’s growing skill knowledge.
- Use creativity to engage students in difficult lessons.
- Serve as an example of college success for your students.
- Grade your students daily on participation, effort and respect.
- Work as a member of a team of tutors who reflect, plan, and problem solve together with the help of the program manager.
- Prepare progress reports for students.
- Periodic clerical work: filing curriculum, calling parents, etc.
- Hold students accountable for code of conduct.
- Attend mandatory training before start of tutor program.
- Passion for working with youth in an urban setting
- Adherence to professional standards as regards to conduct, dress, timeliness, etc.
- Eagerness to reflect on and improve performance.
Contact: Jill Nugent, Tutor Program Manager, 978-345-2701 x408
171 South Street
Fitchburg, MA 01420