Service Learning offers you the opportunity to:
- participate in an organized project to address a specific local need
- develop your academic skills
- foster your sense of responsibility and commitment to the community
- learn discipline, responsibility, teamwork, and appreciation for the needs of others at school and in the wider community.
- further identify your own career interests
- make valuable contributions to your community
- receive partial course credit for your efforts (because service learning is tied to your course objectives).
Many colleges view community service as a valuable experience that improves your qualifications for admission. Service learning hours are also required for eligibility for many scholarships and awards.
Service Learning must be done in conjunction with a credit-bearing course and supported by the course instructor.