Service Learning offers you the opportunity to:
- participate in an organized project to address a specific local need
- develop your academic skills
- foster your sense of responsibility and commitment to the community
- learn discipline, responsibility, teamwork, and appreciation for the needs of others at school and in the wider community.
- further identify your own career interests
- make valuable contributions to your community
- receive partial course credit for your efforts (because service learning is tied to your course objectives).
Many colleges view community service as a valuable experience that improves your qualifications for admission. Service learning hours are also required for eligibility for many scholarships and awards.
Service Learning must be done in conjunction with a credit-bearing course and supported by the course instructor.
- To learn whether and how you can begin a service learning project, please consult with your MWCC instructor and then click here to find service opportunities.
- Print and complete the following two forms:
- You must attach a copy of your driver’s license or other government-issued, photo ID to your CORI form.
- Students who have been accepted into the following degree or certificate programs do not need to submit a CORI form with their Service Learning Project Information forms, as students in these programs are subject to CORI checks at the start of each semester:
- Clinical Laboratory Science
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene
- Early Childhood Education
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Office Certificate
- Nursing (including CNA programs)
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Deliver your completed forms in person to the MWCC Center for Civic Learning and Community Engagement in Room 152 of the Gardner Campus (just beyond the Bookstore) or mail your completed forms to the following address:
Mount Wachusett Community College
444 Green Street
Gardner, MA 01440
ATTN: Heather Daly
- Once you have found your service opportunity and submitted the forms described above, click here to learn how to report and verify your service learning hours. You may begin your service learning project two business days after you submit your forms in person or two business days after you receive confirmation via email to your MWCC address that the Center for Civic Learning has received your completed forms.