Scholarships Currently Available for Only MWCC Students
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is supporting MWCC students with scholarship funds. To be eligible, students must be pursuing a STEM degree with a major such as Biotechnology (BTD or BTDQ), Computer Information Systems (CIS), Natural Resources (NRD), Liberal Arts Biology (LAB), Chemistry (LACH), Physics/Pre-Engineering (LAEP), or Energy Management (EGD). Students must be taking 12 or more credits and have financial need as demonstrated by the FAFSA. The scholarship committee will consider academic records including GPA when awarding available funds. Scholarship recipients will also receive additional support such as faculty mentoring, networking, and STEM enrichment activities.
To apply, please complete this application (PDF).
The deadline to apply is April 1, 2016 for priority consideration for the Fall 2016 semester. If scholarship funds are still available, late applications will be considered.
For more information, please contact Dr. Carrie Arnold at 978-630-9240 or Veronica Guay, Assistant Dean of the School of Business, Science, Technology and Math at 978-630-9533.
Career Focused Education Scholarship
The Community Foundation of North Central Massachusetts and Mount Wachusett Community College are pleased to offer scholarships to support students seeking career focused education programs and improved employment opportunities.
Receive a scholarship in a short term academic program and return to the workforce quickly!
Many Mount Wachusett Community College students further their education for the purpose of reorienting themselves to a new or advanced career. Some academic programs have limited Federal and State financial aid eligibility, which can result in financial difficulty for students. The Career Focused Education Scholarship can assist with funding to encourage program completion and career eligibility.
- Enrollment at MWCC in Advanced Manufacturing or Biotechnology Program (preferred); or enrollment at MWCC in a certificate program for career improvement
- Financial Need Based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- From the North Central Massachusetts Area
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Completion of the MWCC Scholarship Application
Scholarship awards will not exceed 75 percent of the gap between a student’s cost of attendance and other financial aid and resources.
All other financial aid, scholarships, and resources will be exhausted before application of the Career Focused Education Scholarship.
To apply for the Career Focused Scholarship, please complete and submit this application.
Outside Scholarship Postings
College of the Atlantic’s Community College Scholarship
The College of the Atlantic, in Bar Harbor, ME, has a scholarship geared specifically for transferring community college students.
- Value- $15,000/year award
- Criteria – Graduate of a community college with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, and with a transferable Associate’s Degree
- For more information – http://coa.edu/admissions/financial-aid/scholarships
- Application available for download- Yes
The DrugNews 2016 Scholarship
DrugNews was created to be the #1 consumer resource for drug research, development, safety and litigation news. As part of this, we support those who research the safety of medications or help develop new drug concepts. Awards target those students planning a career in drug research, or with family members affected by a permanent drug injury.
- Value – $1,000
- Criteria –
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program with 15 hours completed
- Must have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0
- Must submit an essay detailing why you are pursuing a career in drug research or how a family member’s drug injury has affected your education. Publish the essay on your University personal homepage and send us the link to that page. Feel free to reference DrugNews.net.
- For further information including application, please visit: https://www.drugnews.net/scholarship/#sthash.N5DPZviz.dpuf
- Deadline: Fall 2016 Scholarship – July 31, 2016
Hill & Ponton Veterans’ Scholarship
The Hill & Ponton Veteran’s Scholarship awards four merit based $1000 scholarships to veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Four $1,000 scholarships
- Two scholarships will be awarded in the fall, two in the spring
- Application Deadlines: May 1st and November 1st
- Awards will be announced June 15th and December 15th
- For more information – http://www.hillandponton.com/veterans-scholarship/
2016 Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship
The Horatio Alger Association seeks to assist students who have demonstrated integrity, perseverance in overcoming adversity, strength of character, financial need, commitment to pursue career or technical certification/degree, and a desire to contribute to society.
- Have completed high school or plan to complete high school by Spring 2016 with plans to enroll at a community college for the first time by fall 2016
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a career or technical program at an accredited non-profit community college in the United States
- Demonstrated critical financial need (must be eligible to receive the Federal Pell grant as determined by completion of the FAFSA)
- Demonstrated perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Be involved in community service activities
- Be younger than 30 years old
- Be a United States citizen
To apply for the Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship Program, the following items must be completed by June 1, 2016:
- An online application at application.horatioalger.org.
- High school transcript. Applicants should upload a transcript through the application. Transcripts must be submitted online.
- Income Verification. A copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR). Income documentation must be submitted online.
- Documentation showing tuition and fees for school/program of choice.
- Proof of citizenship (if not born in the Unites States).
Scholarship Search Tools
Visit one of these websites to identify other scholarships that are available:
Nerd Scholar: www.nerdwallet.com/nerdscholar/scholarships/