What services do counselors provide?
Counselors can help with a variety of issues, such as:
- Academic counseling
- Personal counseling
- Counseling on disability issues
- Study skills and strategies, including learning styles
- Adjustment to life crises
A student may wish to speak with a counselor for many reasons. Some might be:
- Declining interest in activities or in socializing with others
- Inability to concentrate; reduced ability to cope with stress
- Behavior that is troublesome to self or others, such as increased use of alcohol or other substances
- Relationship problems
- Excessive fears or unusual anxiety
- Excessive absences from classes or failing grades
- Inability to organize and prepare assignments
- Issues related to a disability that are creating barriers in the educational experience
- Desire to make positive life changes
Counseling Services are located in Student Support Services. Walk-in services are usually available for situations that require immediate attention. Appointments can be made with any of the counselors in Student Support Services. If Melissa Manzi is not available Dawn Fontaine can schedule an appointment for you. An appointment can usually be scheduled within a few days. Please call 978-630-9568.
No, but the staff person may ask you if it is for a specific problem, such as academic advisement, a personal issue, career counseling, or something else in order to allot the amount of time needed for the appointment. You may just say that you wish to talk to the counselor in person to explain your need. If your need is urgent, please let the staff person know that.
No, there is no extra fee charged for Counseling Services for MWCC students. However, Counseling Services can provide only short-term intervention. If long-term psychotherapy is needed, the counselor can help you find a therapist in the community who will accept payment through your health insurance or who offers a payment schedule based on your income.