Mental Health Disabilities
Students may have a wide variety of documented mental health issues, which may require academic adjustments. Such adjustments could include extended time and alternate space for exams, additional time with instructor/tutor to clarify course materials, and tape recording lectures or having a note taker.
Documentation Guidelines for Psychological/Mental Health Disabilities Verification
In order to provide a student with academic accommodations, verification of the disability is needed. The information should be current and comprehensive. Although recommendations of possible accommodations are requested from the professional, the actual accommodations at MWCC must be approved by the counselor for students with disabilities after a discussion with the student. The verification should include the following:
- Documentation from a licensed professional.
- Documentation that includes the DSM Diagnosis.
- Level of severity.
- Date of diagnosis and length and type of treatment.
- Last contact with the student.
- A description of any limitations the student may have functioning in an educational setting.
- Recommendations regarding effective academic accommodations to equalize the student’s educational opportunities at the college level.
- Medications the student is currently using and any effects it may have on the student’s academic functioning.