Mobility and Sensory Disabilities

Sensory Impairments

Students may have hearing or visual impairments. Most students who are deaf require sign language interpreters, or oral interpreters, and/or notetakers in their classes. Students who have a hearing impairment may require close proximity seating or the use of a Phonic Ear. Students who are blind will usually need notetakers or the use of a tape recorder and audio textbooks or Braille. Students who are visually impaired may require enlarged print on paper or on the computer screen. They may also require texts on tape. Adaptive technologies are also available in MWCC’s adaptive tech lab located in the library.

Mobility Impairments

Students may have birth anomalies or alterations in gross/fine motor functioning due to illness or injury. In addition to physical accommodations (e.g., electric door openers, accessible restrooms) for individuals with functional impairments, students may require academic adjustments (e.g., notetakers for their classes, test proctors who transcribe their responses to test questions, or adaptive computer technology).

Documentation Guidelines for Sensory and/or Mobility Disabilities Verification

In order to provide a student with academic accommodations verification of the disability is needed. Accommodations at MWCC must be approved by the counselor for students with disabilities after a discussion with the student. The verification should include the following:

  • Written documentation in the form of medical reports or a letter from a physician detailing the disability.
The documentation is to be given to the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities: 444 Green Street, Room 141A, Gardner, MA 01440 (either sent directly by the licensed professional or hand carried by the student). Upon student request , the counselor will determine appropriate academic adjustments and make arrangements to provide auxiliary learning aid assistance and support services to students in accordance with their documented needs. Students must make an appointment to see the counselor to discuss and arrange for any appropriate academic adjustments. Accommodations are not “automatic.”