Testing Appointment Calendar
Welcome to MWCC! As a new incoming student, you are required to complete the College Placement Test. Use the following calendar to choose your date and time for the College Placement Test (CPT):
On the Day of Your Appointment
- Arrive about ten minutes before your scheduled time.
- A photo I.D. is required.
- Take the College Placement Test seriously. Your results will be used to register you for the appropriate courses.
- Have a positive attitude!
- Be well rested.
About the College Placement Test
The College Placement Test (CPT) is used to determine your current ability in reading, English, and math. The results of the CPT will be used by an academic advisor to register you for courses that match your ability. The first part of the test is an Essay question. You will be given 50 minutes to complete the essay. Once you have finished the essay, you will complete the sentence skills, reading and math sections of the test. These sections are not timed; take as much time as you need. The entire testing process takes about two and a half hours. Other things to know about the test:
- The computer-based test is user friendly.
- The computer automatically determines which questions are presented to you based on your response to prior questions.
- You must answer every question when it is first given.
- You cannot skip any questions or go back later to change an answer.
- You can use the paper and pencil that is available to work out math problems.
- You must see an advisor to obtain your results from the College Placement Test.
- Test scores cannot be given to anyone other than the actual test taker without written consent from the test taker.
- Test scores cannot be given over the phone.
The results of your placement test may require you to take a developmental reading, writing, and/or math course(s). Developmental courses help you prepare for college-level courses required for a degree or certificate program. You receive college credit for developmental courses but the credit will not count towards your degree or certificate and is not transferable to another college.
Preparing for the Test
If it has been a while since you have been in high school, or taken an academic course, you may want to prepare before taking the CPT.
If you have an iPhone, iPod touch or an iPad you can download an Official Accuplacer Study App for $1.99. Offered exclusively through Apple’s iTunes Store.
Textbooks, notebooks, dictionaries, calculators, cell phones or other papers of any kind are not allowed in the testing room. Any test taker who gives or receives help during the test or uses notes or books of any kind will not be allowed to continue the test. The College may cancel any test scores if there is reason to question their validity.
MWCC may use your test results for data collection and statistical analysis related to research. Your name will not be included in any research activity.
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
To meet the needs of students with documented disabilities that may be eligible for accommodations, the CPT is available in various formats (for example, Braille, on tape, or enlarged screen print). Other appropriate accommodations (including a sign interpreter) may be available based on the documented disability. If you have a question or require accommodation(s) prior to the test date, please contact the Counselor for Students with Disabilities, 978-630-9120 or stop by Room 141A.
If you have any testing questions or concerns, please contact Testing Services at 978-630-9244.