Veterans Tuition Waiver
To receive a tuition waiver, a student must have:
- a member copy #4 of the veterans DD214 (discharge from active duty) indicating honorable discharge;
- at least one year active duty;
- a home record at time of entry; and
- Massachusetts or a six month residency in Massachusetts prior to the start of classes.
The Veteran Tuition Waiver only applies to state-supported courses (most day courses at the Gardner campus). Vietnam veterans qualify for a tuition waiver for ALL MWCC courses at all campuses. The student is responsible for all fees, books, and supplies.
The student must:
- be enrolled in an associate degree or certificate program,
- be taking credit courses,
- be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts for at least 6 months prior to the start of the semester.
Note: Documentation of eligibility must be made when applying: DD214 etc.; Vietnam Veteran; Service between February 1, 1955 and May 7, 1975; Persian Gulf War; August 2, 1990-Undetermined. Southwest Asia Service Medal, National Defense Medal and Armed Forces, Expeditionary Service Medal constitutes wartime service in the Persian Gulf War.
To receive the Montgomery GI Bill, the student must provide the following information to the records office:
- Member copy #4 of the veterans DD214 (discharge from active duty)
- A completed application for VA Educational Benefits (available in records office)
- The discharge has to be under honorable conditions
- Active duty must be at least one year
- The home record at time of entry has to be Massachusetts or one-year residency in Massachusetts required prior to the start of school
- Must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program full or part time
The information above is then forwarded to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY for processing. All decisions regarding veteran eligibility are determined by the Veteran Administration.
For more information and eligibility criteria for the Montgomery GI Bill call the VA toll free at 1-888-442-4551.