SMART Start is a group registration event where all students begin the enrollment process.
Note: this event takes place in a computer lab, therefore extra guests are not permitted due to space restrictions.
What do I need to do ahead of time?
To be ready to attend SMART Start, all first-time MWCC students must:
- Apply to the college and be offered admission
- Contact Admissions with any questions about your status
- Take the Placement Tests or have prior college transcripts showing successful completion of English and mathematics.
- Official transcripts from other schools should be sent to the Records Office as well as any official scores from AP or CLEP exams; please also bring unofficial copies of all transcripts/scores to SMART Start in case officials have not been processed
- Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
What do I need to bring?
We will provide you with a folder of information and a pen so you can take notes. You should bring:
- Your iConnect username and password (Activate it here)
- Transcripts from any and all previously attended colleges (official or unofficial)
- Placement test scores (if you have a hard copy of the scores)
What should I expect when I arrive?
- Check in with an academic advisor to review your student advising worksheet that outlines your suggested course registration
- Attend an informational workshop where you will:
- Engage with your peers and the advisors as you learn more about becoming a student at MWCC
- Learn how your progress will be measured each semester
- Evaluate your available time to commit to your academics
- Use the electronic tools available to you – learn how to register for courses
- Create your schedule for the upcoming semester
- Expect for it to take roughly 2 hours from start to finish. Please plan on attending the entire event in order to enroll in classes.
What if I attend another college but want to take a class at MWCC?
If you are a student with prior successful college experience AND you are not seeking to obtain a degree from MWCC, you are considered a Guest Student. Please see our Guest Student Page for more information about course registration. Guest students DO NOT attend SMART Start.
Where can I get more information?
Prior to SMART Start contact the Admissions Office at 978-630-9110 or Academic Advising at 978-630-9109.