Career Planning and Placement Services
Whether searching for a part-time job while in college or trying to land that full-time job upon graduation, having a job search plan utilizing proven strategies can increase your chance of success! Please browse the resources on the menu on the left side of your screen — and don’t forget to email Cira Espinoza Feliz at the Career Center: email@example.com or call 978-630-9325 to schedule a one-on-one appointment to discuss your job search strategies.
Do you have the right tools to begin your job search?
For a one-on-one advising session to help you make the most of these tools, please email the Career Center.
Consider the following sites as you design your job search:
- QuintCareers.com – Covers everything from individual career assessment to resume and job search strategies, to job search tools to ‘hot job’ categories.
- The Commonwealth Employment Opportunities (CEO) – A comprehensive list of current vacancies in the Executive Branch of Massachusetts State government.
- MassCIS – Click on ‘adult’ to access Mass Information Systems
- MassItsAllHere.com – Massachusetts site highlighting innovative ideas to bring jobs to MA and to keep students in the state. Job leads, internships, business updates and more!
- List of job search sites
Why conduct an informational interview?
- Learn information and insight into the practical applications of your chosen field, which allosw you to decide if it’s the right path for you!
- Get a realistic view of the job market, outlook of salaries, working environments and responsibilities
- Networking! It’s the single most effective way to conduct a job search
Informational Interview Resources
- Find out more about informational interviews and to research appropriate questions to ask during the interview
- What are Informational Interviews
- Information Interview Tutorial
- Questions to ask during the Information Interview
Labor Market Information
Understanding the labor market is your first step to making an informed decision regarding your career choice as well as job choice. Where are the jobs in Massachusetts? What industries are hiring individuals with my training and skills? What are the chances of there being a job available in my major when I graduate? Answers to these important questions and more can save you money, and even more importantly, your valuable time when training for a job for the first time or when transitioning into a new field with potential for personal and financial growth.
- Career Coach is a search tool that gives you the opportunity to explore hundreds of potential careers by showing you info on wages, employment, and jobs, plus the education needed to get you there.
- “The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a nationally recognized source of career information designed to provide valuable assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives. This handbook describes what workers do on the job, working conditions, education and training needed, earnings and expected job prospects.”
- CareerOneStop: Provides occupation information, industry information, and state information with a complete list of career tools.
- O*NET: Investigate majors and occupations to learn about a typical day, wages, education requirements and industries that hire.
Popular Newspapers in Our Area
- Cover letter tips: Resume Workbook 2018 -2019
- The cover letter is an essential part of the application process. It is highly recommended that every resume be accompanied by a cover letter targeted to a position or company. Learn how to set yourself apart from the competition
- Guide to Researching Companies
- Cover Letter Tutorials
We’ve all heard the saying, ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’. A professional portfolio provides the opportunity to ‘show off’ your skills and accomplishments in a concrete manner and it brings life to the resume and the interview. Portfolios are often laid out in a notebook fashion with dividers separating categories. For instance, you may divide it into segments containing your resume, copy of your transcripts for all institutions attended, samples of your work, awards and honors, workshops/conferences attended, military record and references.
The sooner you start preparing your professional portfolio the better, as it is a living document that grows as you grow in your chosen career. Check out what we mean by a ‘professional portfolio’ by clicking on to the following selected sites on Portfolio Development:
- ‘Your Job Skills Portfolio: Giving You an Edge in the Marketplace’
- Career Portfolio Tools and Resources for the job seeker. ‘Best career portfolio tools and resources on the web.’
The following resume resources provide excellent guidelines on writing your resume. Keep in mind, the resume has one goal: to land the interview! Learn tips to create a resume that is going to get noticed. With today’s competitive job market, a professional resume is a must for every job seeker.
- Click Here To View Our: Resume Workbook 2018 -2019. Create your own resume. Focus on Your Future! Consult this in-house publication online for resume writing tips, a worksheet to assist you in composing your resume, information on references and writing a reference sheet to accompany your resume and a quick overview of cover letters. A hard copy booklet can be picked up in the Student Success Center or by stopping by the Career Placement Office, Room 135.
- Collection of different types of free web based resume samples for Job Seekers.
- Resume preparation Do’s and Don’ts
You completed the interview, your references have been checked and now you have been extended a job offer! You want the job but there may be some room for negotiation on the salary package. Are you ready to make the most of this opportunity? Learn from the experts and be prepared to negotiate! An overall resource of excellent salary negotiation sites. Click here for a reference and refine your search to fit your needs!
- ERI’s Career Salary and Cost of Living Calculators – This web site offers a free salary potential calculator and a cost-of-living calculator for over 7,200 U.S., Canadian and international cities.
- Salary Calculator
- NACE Salary Calculator Center
Whether entering the job market directly out of high school or college, or a seasoned professional changing careers, learn how to take the skills you have developed and turn them into ‘what it takes’ to land the job!
Transferable Job Skills
One of the most important concepts you will ever encounter in the job-hunting process is that of transferable job skills; read all about them.
Classroom Transferable and Marketable Skills
This article, adapted from Dynamic Cover Letters for New Graduates, discusses emphasizing your transferable and marketable skills in your cover letter.
Transferable Skills: A Vital Job-search Technique
One of the most important concepts you will ever encounter in the job-hunting process is that of transferable skills — an understanding of the idea is critical to your successful job.
Job Hunting Success
For Job Hunting Success: Track and Leverage Your Accomplishments.
We have all heard that “you only have one chance to make a first impression”. It is no different or any less important for the employment interview. The following articles from QuintCareers.com provides valuable advice on ‘Dressing for Success’.
Dress for Success Books
Books for men and women trying to understand the importance of dressing for success in job interviews. Includes books about formal and casual dress.
Dress for Success for Women
One of the keys to a successful interview: dressing for success. Here are some free expert tips for women.
Tips on dressing for any occasion including HOW TO TIE A TIE!
Now that you landed the interview are you ready? Are you looking forward to the interview or are you a bit anxious?
Take the mystery and anxiety out of interviewing by being prepared.
- Learn how to ‘master typical traditional and behavioral job interview questions’, take a job interview tutorial, brush up on the do’s and don’ts of job interviewing, prepare for a phone interview and more!
- Job Interview Tutorial
- Guide to Researching Companies
- Job Interview Questions for recent grads
- Job Interview Prep: mock interviews and video record