Company: City of Fitchburg
Location: Fitchburg, MA
Salary Range: $43,212 – $70,824/Grade 8 (starting range $43,212 – $50,492) FLSA/Salaried/Non-Exempt
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Application deadline: June 18, 2021
Supervisor: Chief Procurement Officer
Civil Service: No
Union Affiliation: FAMASS
Date posted: June 3, 2021
The responsibilities and duties listed below are illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Buyer is responsible to contribute to an efficient and cost-effective process designed to assist City and Public School departmental staff in the procurement of goods and services. Duties are complex in nature, requiring a high level of detail and ability to exercise independent judgment with minimal supervision Duties of this position include but are not limited:
- Assist Chief and Assistant Procurement Officers in managing projects, preparing solicitation documents, collecting procurement data, issuing and publishing invitations for bids and requests for proposals and communicating status of same to appropriate City and School departments;
- Maintain Procurement Contract and Management Database, permanent documents and files. Perform annual archiving and destruction of files, as prescribed by MGL;
- Oversee and maintain the City’s credit cards, P-Card program, Amazon Business account and other citywide accounts for accuracy, compliance and prompt payment.
- Maintain database of City account holders. Process monthly P-card invoice;
- Review and process requisitions on a daily basis, remit purchase orders to vendors; Initiate and maintain process for electronic delivery of purchase orders to vendors;
- Assist with maintenance of MUNIS requisition system; Provide support to manage the system and assist City and School staff with utilizing the software on an ongoing basis;
- Work with both City and School departments to acquire goods and services for purchases less than $50K, in accordance with established Massachusetts General Laws (primarily MGL c. 30B), city ordinances and departmental policies and procedures. Provide requisitioning department with information to recommend award, issue award and contract and track contract to execution;
- Perform market research and identify goods and services which meet the City’s quality requirements while obtaining competitive pricing. Provide market research to City and School staff, as necessary, for cost savings;
- Utilize the state Procurement System (COMMBUYS) to obtain goods and service from State Contracts;
- Research availability of supplies and services from other cooperative and collaborative organizations; provide guidance and assistance to all levels of appropriate departmental staff members in sourcing, development of solicitations, recommendation of contract awards and application of correct contract to purchases, while maintaining a high level of service and quality for City departments;
- Request Prevailing Wage Rates and verify that departments are collecting certified payroll submittals;
- Receive and track insurance certificates, performance and payment bonds and other contract-related documents for duration of all contracts;
- Provide technical assistance to vendors and contractors, and respond to inquiries of a general nature, with respect to solicitations, solicitation documents and City policies and procedures;
- Witness bid openings, prepare bid summaries, post results in accordance with internal policy;
- Track performance reviews on contracts in process and at closing; Update Contract Management Database with performance statistics;
- Work closely with City Auditor department to maintain checks and balances, maintain accuracy of the vendor database and to assist in efficient flow and communication between the departments;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Minimum of Associate Degree in business or related field or minimum of five (5) years’ relevant experience with work in a municipal setting and/or public procurement preferred;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Proficiency and accuracy in MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and database software required.
MUNIS financial system software experience preferred;
- Experience with CivicPlus website software is a plus;
- Experience with COMMBUYS Commonwealth Procurement System and other cooperative contracts is a plus;
MCPPO designation is preferred but not required. Must be willing to attend MCPPO educational classes and MAPPO training meetings recommended by Chief Procurement Officer;
- Must possess:
-Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, as well as a demonstrated willingness to share new ideas;
-Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with co-workers, with a strong ability to communicate effectively in order to reach established department goals;
-Ability to work independently, handle multiple projects simultaneously and easily adapt to changing deadlines and/or competing priorities;
-High level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Demonstrate the required skills and the ability to perform all work assigned by successfully completing a six (6) month probationary period;
- Must successfully complete pre-employment physical, drug screening and background check;
Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
PHYSICAL COMPONENT RATED:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. RATED: Light to moderate. Minimal physical demands are required to perform the essential functions of the position under typical office conditions. May be required to lift, push or pull office equipment or pick up objects weighing twenty-five (25) pounds or less. Duties require basic manual dexterity for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment. Employee is constantly required to read documents and reports for understanding and routinely for analytical purposes. The employee may be required to determine color differences. Ability to travel to other departments and municipal offices.
Deadline: June 18, 2021
Applications are accepted online ONLY. Please visit www.fitchburgma.gov to apply. Required application documents include a cover letter, (Attn: Susan Davis, Director of Human Resources), resume and application. All documents must be received to be eligible for consideration.
The City of Fitchburg is an Affirmative Action (AA) and Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).