Learning via the Academic Support Center
Advance your learning! Our consultants will help you discover new learning styles and skills, apply learning strategies to your course content or writing and math needs, and reflect on how you learned new material. We can also help you learn how to navigate Blackboard, Microsoft Office programs, and other technologies as needed.
What types of learning consultations are available?
- Walk-in, face-to-face assistance with math, writing, and select other subjects is available by visiting LaChance Library (Gardner campus) Monday through Friday 9am-2pm, or Room 123 (Leominster campus) Monday through Thursday. Hours in Leominster vary.
- Face-to-face and online appointments are available by emailing the Academic Support Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 978-630-9333 at least 48 hours prior to your needed appointment. Not every subject is covered on all days at all times, so the more advance notice you provide, the better.
- NOTE: 1:1 consultations are not guaranteed. Based on demand, you may end up in a group or round-robin consultation.
- Online support is also available through our third-party service ThinkingStorm. Please visit your Blackboard site for access to this service.
Online appointments for the following topics and courses are available depending on consultant availability:
- Earth Science
- Economics 101 & 102
- English as a Second Language
- Health Care 111 & 112
- Management 110
- Music Theory
- Philosophy 201
- Physical Therapy
- Spanish Tutoring in Math and Computers
Email email@example.com or call 978-630-9333 to set an online appointment.
What should I bring?
The most important thing you need to bring is a growth mindset. This means
- planning and engaging in your own learning.
- deciding that you can still learn a skill or subject that was difficult in the past.
- being open and receptive to sharing how you have learned in the past while being willing to try new ways of learning in the future.
- being willing to study your failures as much as your successes, because we all can learn from what goes wrong as much as we can from what goes right.
Bring ideas. Your current understanding of materials, even if you don’t think it’s enough. Topics and audiences for essays. Concepts and strategies for learning that you have used in the past. All of these will help you grow.
Bring questions. Question the content. Question the strategies and skills. Seek explanations for everything, and discuss often. “How?” and “Why?” are often the most effective ways to begin.
Bring learning materials. Your laptop, tablet, and even your phone, charged up and ready to open to the next slide presentation, reading, or assignment on Blackboard. Class texts, whether electronic or print. A notebook or blank paper. Pens, pencils, and highlighters. Flashcards and other favorite learning strategies. Bring what you need to learn.
Academic Support Center Policies
- There is no limit to available hours of face-to-face or online consulting through MWCC. ThinkingStorm use is limited to 10 hours per semester. If you need more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Because it would be a violation of academic integrity, we cannot help you with tests, quizzes, or exams. We can help you prepare beforehand, and after it has been submitted, graded, and returned, we can review it with you to plan your next steps.
- 1:1 consultations are not guaranteed. Based on demand, you may end up in a group or round-robin consultation.
- Consultants will wait 10 minutes for you to arrive before declaring you late. If you are late or miss two consultations with an MWCC consultant, you will likely need to discuss your absences with the Director before any further consultations can be offered.
- Consultants may contact faculty for more information about course content and learning strategies related to your session.
- Computer availability in consulting spaces is first-come, first-serve.
Visit us at LaChance Library (Gardner campus), Room 123 (Leominster campus), or schedule an appointment online at email@example.com.