The Senator Stephen M. Brewer Center for Civic Learning and Community Engagement is more than a collection of programs or services. Each event we sponsor, every student we place with a local non-profit organization, any ideas we help develop, and all of our non-profit partnerships are part of a larger strategic vision for improving the lives of individuals and families in North Central Massachusetts. We invite you and your organization to help us in this endeavor.
Learn More About Our Programs in our annual reports
Service Site Requirements
- Have an office or available public space for use (such as a library), students will not enter anyone’s home
- Ensure that someone within your organization has the capacity to oversee and manage your requested project, be sure that you can accommodate someone at an introductory level
- Provide a supportive work environment to foster student retention and an ongoing commitment to service
- Complete an evaluation for each student placed with your organization
- Accommodate a site visit at a mutually convenient time (for organizations hosting internship students or large groups of students)
Host an MWCC Student
The Center works with community partners to determine a best-fit for both students and community partners. There are three ways to engage MWCC students at your organization:
- Service Learning: Students work with community-based organizations to complete a certain amount of hours for a course. The service completed is connected to course objectives and community needs.
- Volunteering: Join our GivePulse community to post upcoming volunteer opportunities and connect with students about volunteer opportunities for events or weekly service shifts
- Internships and Co-ops: A longer, more intensive commitment, where students are placed at community-based sites and complete 120-150 hours of service over the course of the semester.
- Join GivePulse (we will contact you within two weeks to initiate a conversation about your organization’s needs and the needs of our students)
- The best time to submit an application is:
- August submission for September-December projects
- January submission for February-May projects
- However, we do accept applications throughout the year
- Need assistance in project development? Contact Director, Shelley Errington Nicholson, at 978-630-9219.