Why study abroad at MWCC?
Study abroad at MWCC provides the community with the opportunity to practice the shared value of responsible risk taking. That means we develop our programs with the health & safety of the community in mind. We are constantly evaluating our processes and procedures to provide the strong foundation for student success, whether it is on our local campus or in a foreign country, utilizing industry best management practices.
To mitigate risk inherent with international travel, what does MWCC do? We choose to offer programs in countries that are deemed “safe” for travel by the US Department of State. We collaborate with international education organizations that are leaders in the field, offering professional services and a customer service ethic. We ensure that all participants have adequate insurance while participating in any study abroad program. Lastly, we communicate clearly and transparently with our students so they have the information necessary to make informed decisions about the academic, professional and personal choices they make when they participate in a study abroad program.
Did you know less than 10% of American college students study abroad? Study abroad can help you:
- Satisfy requirements for graduation
- Fulfill career development objectives when you improve your intercultural competence skills
- Advance your network on a global scale as you make contacts in another country
- Gain independence, self-confidence, and self-reliance
- Develop and refine your brand with an international component
- Increase your sensitivity to cultural differences
- Explore a new language
- Make lifelong friends
How can I study abroad?
Programs are available in short or long term options so you can determine which option is best for YOU. Options range from January term, summer, full semester or academic year programs.
Who is eligible?
Study abroad at Mount Wachusett Community College is open to day, evening, and online students, both part time and full time. A passport is necessary.
How much does it cost?
Costs vary depending on the type and duration of the program. Financial aid applies to approved programs, students work with the Office of Financial Aid to develop a comprehensive budget. Numerous scholarships, grants, and loans also supplement the student’s own contribution. Costs include tuition, fees, and books as well as living expenses, social activities, and excursions that are part of the planned program in which the student may want to participate. Airfare, ground transportation, departure taxes, and personal spending are also included in calculating the financial aid package.
Where do I begin?
Stop by the Study Abroad Office in Room 333 (Gardner campus) for more information. Schedule an appointment or stop in during our open office hours; Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday from 12:30-1:30.
In addition to the MWCC faculty led courses, MWCC belongs to these international education organizations that provide students with assistance in-country:
- College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS)
- Academic Programs International (API)
- Academic Studies Abroad (ASA)
- Center For International Studies (CIS Abroad)
- Massachusetts Council for International Education (MaCIE) Students can apply to any study abroad program in one of the participating Massachusetts public higher education institutions.
Are There Any Scholarships Available? YES! PLEASE stop in to talk with us about the many scholarships available.
Here is a very short list of the most common scholarships:
- Gilman Scholarship If you qualify for a Pell Grant, you qualify for a Gilman Scholarship.
- Gilman-McCain Scholarship Award for child dependents of active duty military personnel.
- Fund for Education Abroad Aims to fund students that are typically underrepresented in study abroad, including community college students.
- Critical Language Scholarship Is an intensive overseas language and cultural immersion program for American students enrolled at U.S. colleges and universities.
- Boren Award If you are interested in public service at the federal level, this scholarship might be for you.
- Fulbright US Student Program Once you have graduated, this is a great opportunity to teach English abroad.
- Scholarship information for CCIS
- Scholarship information for API
- Scholarship information for ASA
- Scholarship information for CIS Abroad
Tracey Betts Sarefield
Office of Study Abroad