All first-time MWCC students must take the Accuplacer Placement Test. The results will help students to choose appropriately when registering for classes.
Steps to the College Placement Test. . .
About the Test
Placement Test Brochure
The Placement Test is delivered by computer using Accuplacer, a series of placement tests provided by College Board.
The test is divided into 3 English sections and 2-3 Math sections:
- Essay (50 minute time limit), Sentence Skills, Reading
- Arithmetic, Algebra, College Level Math (offered based on Algebra score)
Campuses & Scheduling
Placement testing is available at the Gardner, Leominster, and Devens campuses. Students testing for MWCC must have already been accepted to the college. Call ahead if testing for a different school.
- Walk–In testing: Monday-Friday 8:30am–1:00pm
- By appointment testing: Appointments are available for Tuesday evenings. Call 978-630-9244 or 978-630-9220 to schedule.
- By appointment testing: Appointments are available for Monday evenings at 5:30, Wednesday mornings at 9:00am, and Friday mornings at 9:00am. Call to schedule 978-630-9813 or 978-630-9812 to schedule.
- By appointment testing: Appointments are available for Thursday mornings at 9:00am. Use the Testing Appointment Calendar or call 978-630-9569 to schedule.
Preparing for the Test
Students should review study materials prior to testing. If testing prior to January 28th, plan to take the Classic Accuplacer placement test. If testing after January 28th, plan to take the Next Generation Accuplacer placement test. Register HERE for College Board’s online study guide, which includes the following features:
- Sample Tests that help you experience the types of questions to be asked on test day
- “Learn As You Go” feature that provides immediate feedback after each question is submitted and includes an explanation for the correct response
- Save your work-in-progress and resume practicing at a later time
- Review your score history to identify areas of strength and weakness
- 6 months of access
(Note: The Accuplacer apps for your phone are not created by College Board and are not recommended for use.)
Taking the Test
On Test Day:
- Plan on testing approximately 2-2.5 hours. The length of the testing session will vary for each student.
- A photo I.D. is required before the test can be administered.
- No food, beverages, electronic devices, or other personal items are allowed in the testing room.
- You will not receive your test scores immediately after the test. Score reports are only given after a retest.
Friends and family may not accompany students into the testing room. Anyone not testing, including parents and children, must wait outside Testing Services. Read more information see the guest/visitor policies.
For details on MWCC’s retest policy please refer to the Catalog. Same day retests are not allowed.
Register for a mandatory SMART Start event after you have completed the Placement Test. At SMART Start you will learn about your test scores, course placement, and class schedule. Note: Students in Dual Enrollment, Gateway, and Pathways programs do not attend SMART Start.
Requesting Scores from MWCC
Test scores will not be given to anyone other than the actual test taker without written consent from the test taker.
- If you would like to request your scores, or have them sent somewhere else, you may send an email from your MWCC account to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, MWCC ID # (or date of birth), your phone number, approximate test dates, the name of the recipient/institution, and the address, email, or fax where they should be sent.
- Instead of using an MWCC email account, you may complete and sign the Accuplacer Score Request form and fax to 978-630-9278 or scan and email to email@example.com.
- Scores may also be released by request from a designee (such as a parent or spouse) listed on a FERPA (Family Educational Right to Privacy Act) waiver form. If you have not completed a form and would like to, or want to make changes, contact the Records office at 978-630-9106.
Sending Scores to MWCC from Another School
If you took Accuplacer at a different school and would like for MWCC to have the scores, you must contact the other school to request the score report be sent directly to Testing Services at MWCC.
- Score reports will only be accepted if sent directly to MWCC Testing Services from the other school. Scores are not valid if more than 3 years old. You should discuss your scores with an Advisor.
- Schools may send Accuplacer score reports to Testing Services by fax: 978-630-9278 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
To request reasonable accommodations for testing, please contact Student Services at 978-630-9855 prior to scheduling the test.
MWCC may use your test results for data collection and statistical analysis related to research. Your name will not be included in any research activity.