IMPORTANT UPDATE: All testing services have been suspended through April 30th, at which point they will be reassessed. For full details on how MWCC is addressing issues surrounding COVID-19 response, please see here.
Accuplacer results will help students to choose appropriately when registering for classes. Placement testing may be waived for students who meet other measures of placement. These measures include:
- TRANSFER CREDIT: The student has completed previous college-level English and math courses that have been accepted for transfer credit.
- Students that have completed an accredited Bachelor’s degree may be eligible for direct placement into ENG 101 even if they have not taken a transferable ENG 101 course.
- GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL GPA: Graduated high school students with a 2.7 GPA or higher from within the past three years do not need to sit for math sections of the placement test. Graduated high school students with a 2.7 GPA or higher from within the past ten years do not need to sit for English sections of the placement test.
- HISET: Students with a HiSET Mathematics score of 15 or higher from within the past three years do not need to sit for math sections of the placement test. Students with a HiSET English Language Arts score of 165+ from within the past ten years do not need to sit for the English sections of the placement test.
- GED: Students with a GED Mathematical Reasoning score of 165 or higher from within the past three years do not need to sit for math sections of the placement test. Students with a GED English Language Arts score of 165 or higher from 2014 or later do not need to sit for the English sections of the placement test.
- SAT/ACT: Students with an SAT Reading and Writing score of 600 or higher or an ACT English Language score of 22 or higher do not need to sit for the English sections of the placement test.
About the Test
The placement test is delivered via computer using Accuplacer, provided by College Board.
On Test Day:
- Plan on testing approximately 2 hours. The length of the session will vary for each student.
- A photo I.D. is required before the test can be administered and no food, beverages, electronic devices, calculators, or other personal items are permitted in the testing room. Scrap paper and a pencil will be provided.
- Friends and family may not accompany students into the testing room. Anyone not testing, including parents and children, will not be permitted in testing spaces. For more information review our guest/visitor policies.
- Same day retests are not allowed. For details on MWCC’s retest policy please refer to the College Catalog.
The test is divided into 2 English sections and 1-2 Math sections. For information on what your placement scores mean, please check here.
Campuses & Scheduling
Placement testing is available at the Gardner, Leominster, and Devens campuses. Students testing for MWCC must have already been accepted to the college. Call ahead if testing for a different school.
- Walk–In testing: Monday-Friday 8:30am–1:00pm and Tuesdays at 5:00pm.
- By appointment testing: Appointments are available for Mondays at 5:30pm, Tuesdays at 1:00pm and 4:00pm, and Fridays at 9am. Call 978-630-9244 to schedule.
- By appointment testing: Appointments are available for Wednesday mornings at 9:00am. Use the Testing Appointment Calendar or call 978-630-9569 to schedule.
Preparing for the Test
Students should review study materials prior to testing. Register for College Board’s student portal here: Accuplacer Student Portal. This site includes the following features:
- Practice Resources, such as study guides and sample tests that help you experience the types of questions to be asked on test day
- Score Report, which allows you to access your scores online
- Test Center Locator, which lets you find a testing location close to home (should you choose to test at another school, please call us for further instruction prior to testing)
You can also print out the study guides here:
(Note: Accuplacer phone apps are not created by College Board and are not recommended for use.)
Register for a mandatory SMART Start event after you have completed the placement test. At SMART Start you will learn about your test scores, course placement, and class schedule.
Note: Students in Dual Enrollment, Gateway, and Pathways programs do not attend SMART Start.
Requesting Scores from MWCC
Test scores will not be given to anyone other than the actual test taker without written consent from the test taker.
- If you would like to request your scores, or have them sent somewhere else, you may send an email from your MWCC account to email@example.com. Include your name, MWCC ID # (or date of birth), your phone number, approximate test dates, the name of the recipient/institution, and the address, email, or fax where they should be sent.
- Instead of using an MWCC email account, you may complete and sign the Accuplacer Score Request form and fax to 978-630-9278 or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scores may also be released by request from a designee (such as a parent or spouse) listed on a FERPA (Family Educational Right to Privacy Act) waiver form. If you have not completed a form and would like to, or want to make changes, contact the Records office at 978-630-9106.
Sending Scores to MWCC from Another School
If you took Accuplacer at a different school and would like for MWCC to have the scores, you must contact the other school to request the score report be sent directly to Testing Services at MWCC.
- Score reports will only be accepted if sent directly to MWCC Testing Services from the other school. Scores are not valid if more than 3 years old. You should discuss your scores with an Advisor.
- Schools may send Accuplacer score reports to Testing Services by fax: 978-630-9278 or email to email@example.com.
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
To request reasonable accommodations for testing, please contact Student Services at 978-630-9855 prior to scheduling the test.
MWCC may use your test results for data collection and statistical analysis related to research. Your name will not be included in any research activity.