ESL Accuplacer results are used to place students into both credit and non-credit coursework.
The placement test is delivered via computer using Accuplacer, provided by College Board. Scores are valid for 3 years and there are no fees associated with the placement test. An MWCC ID number is required in order to sit for the ESL placement test. To obtain an MWCC ID number, students may complete an admissions application, an admission inquiry card, or an ESL program inquiry card.
Same day retests are not allowed. Students can attempt a second ESL Accuplacer at their own discretion for a $10 fee. Third ESL Accuplacer test attempts require permission from the Director of Academic Support and Testing Services and a $10 fee.
On Test Day:
- Plan on testing approximately 2 hours. The length of the session will vary for each student.
- Testers must have a photo I.D. (or supply a birth date) in order to test.
- No food, beverages, electronic devices, or other personal items are permitted in the testing room.
- Friends and family may not accompany students into the testing room. Anyone not testing, including parents and children, will not be permitted in testing spaces. For more information review our guest/visitor policies.
This computerized test is divided into several un-timed sections. Students may take different sections depending on their proficiency level.
You can download a booklet with more details, and some sample questions, here:
ESL Accuplacer testing is by appointment only. Please email email@example.com to discuss your testing need.
Students will be referred to meet with an Academic Advisor or Enrollment Specialist after completing the placement test. In this meeting they will review scores and placement as well as move through the course registration process.
Requesting Scores from MWCC
Test scores will not be given to anyone other than the actual test taker without written consent from the test taker.
- If you would like to request your scores, or have them sent somewhere else, you may send an email from your MWCC account to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, MWCC ID # (or date of birth), your phone number, approximate test dates, the name of the recipient/institution, and the address, email, or fax where they should be sent.
- Instead of using an MWCC email account, you may complete and sign the Accuplacer Score Request form and fax to 978-630-9278 or scan and email to email@example.com.
- Scores may also be released by request from a designee (such as a parent or spouse) listed on a FERPA (Family Educational Right to Privacy Act) waiver form. If you have not completed a form and would like to, or want to make changes, contact the Records office at 978-630-9106.
Sending Scores to MWCC from Another School
If you took ESL Accuplacer at a different school and would like for MWCC to have the scores, you must contact the other school to request the score report be sent directly to Testing Services at MWCC.
- Score reports will only be accepted if sent directly to MWCC Testing Services from the other school. Scores are not valid if more than 3 years old. You should discuss your scores with an Advisor.
- Schools may send Accuplacer score reports to Testing Services by fax: 978-630-9278 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
To request reasonable accommodations for testing, please contact Student Services at 978-630-9855 prior to coming in to test.
MWCC may use your test results for data collection and statistical analysis related to research. Your name will not be included in any research activity.